Wistaria Well (Extra Drilling)
Recipient: Tweedsmuir Recreation Commission
Areas: Burns Lake and Southside
Sectors: Community Infrastructure
Strategy: Community Infrastructure
Description: The Wistaria Hall was built in 1925 and since that time has been an integral part of community life for many rural-dwelling families on the south side of Burns Lake. The hall had been without a potable water system, so 'good' water had to be brought in for events. Water for washing and the washrooms was hauled by truck to a holding tank. The purpose of this Society-supported project was to drill a well to provide a convenient source of 'good' water. This project was approved in the 1999-2000 fiscal year in the amount of $9000 (all of which was expended). Well drilling commenced at the end of April 2000. However, at 370 feet, there was no appreciable water even though the area had been 'witched'. Tweedsmuir Recreation Commission then approached NKDF to fund, in part, the digging of an additional 100 feet. This request was approved in June 2000. However, the additional depth made no difference (at only 6 gallons/hour, the water in the well was probably just seepage), and the well was capped. Unfortunately, this project was another reminder of the challenges of northern rural living!